I turned 30 last month, and as you probably all saw from this post, I was having a little bit of a freak out beforehand! So far though, so good. I had THE best festival themed party with all of my nearest and dearest and celebrated in style. Then Dan and I jetted off to Lisbon to continue the celebrations, so I have no complaints! Things do feel a little different, but I can’t really put my finger on what or why. I guess it just feels like I’ve entered a different phase of my life, and I can’t wait to see what it holds.
I’ll remember my twenties with amazing memories and so many exciting times. I learnt so much about myself, the people around me and life in general really, and I feel like I’ve come out the other side a better person. It was a decade of some heady highs and some pretty crushing lows, but those ten years have taught me so much, and prepared me for life ahead.
Here’s 20 things my twenties taught me…
1. You will never please everyone, and that’s totally fine. You don’t have to have every single person in your corner. Some will agree with you, some will disagree but your world will keep turning. That’s life!
2. Sometimes you just need to have a good cry to make everything feel better. It doesn’t make you weak and no one is going to judge you.
3. No matter how old you are, there’s nothing better than a beige buffet of potato waffles, turkey dinosaurs, crispy pancakes, alphabites, fish fingers…. the list goes on!
4. Juggling work, friends, family, a social life and everything in between is a minefield, but soon you’ll find your rhythm. Everyone else is going through the same, and finding a time where your schedules align is near impossible!
5. Dress for you and nobody else. I’ve lost count of how many times people have made comments about my clothes, but I’ve learnt to ignore them. As long as you feel good in what you’re wearing, nothing else matters! You might look back in a few years time and wonder what you were thinking, but that’s fashion!
6. Staying in is the new going out. In my early twenties especially, I felt like there was so much pressure to go out on the weekends, but throughout the years I’ve grown to love a night in. There’s nothing better to me that an evening in front of a film with a takeaway, chocolate and my favourite people. Give me that over an expensive, sweaty night club any day!
7. You don’t have to say yes to everything! Turning down plans that you just don’t feel you want to do is not a crime. No one will be offended if you’re just not feeling it!
8. It’s fine to enjoy your own company. Similar to the above two points, I’ve learned over the past decade that I actually enjoy my own company. Sure, sometimes if I spend an extended length of time on my own I can drive myself stir crazy. However, a few hours by myself here and there is sometimes what the doctor ordered!
9. You can never start saving too early. I wish I had set up a savings account or my Help To Buy ISA sooner!
10. Every one is winging it! If you don’t feel like you’ve got everything figured out, don’t worry, because no one else has!
11. Hangovers get SO much worse the older you get. I thought I’d be able to handle them, but oh no!
12. Failure is not the end of the world. Making mistakes can feel awful in the moment, especially when it comes to your career or someone/something you care about, but they’re the things that toughen you up and shape you in to who you’re going to become.
13. Everything happens for a reason. I’m a big believer in this, and feel like all of the highs and the lows are there to test you. Things will work out the way they are supposed to, and everything will be fine in the end.
14. No matter your age, you’ll always have those guilty pleasures that you will love forever. Pitch Perfect, High School Musical (specifically Zac Efron), Stacie Orrico, 5ive. I could go on!
15. People Change, and you can’t stop that. People can drift out of your life as quickly as they came in to it, for reasons you can’t control. You won’t ‘fit’ in each other’s lives anymore for many reasons, and that’s okay. You’ll be left with the best set of friends you could wish for in the end.
16. You’ll grow to love experiences over things. Making memories is so much more important that materialistic belongings, so over the past few years I’ve started doing so much more. You’ll get so much more out of trips away, days out, spa days, meals and events.
17. A bar of Galaxy and a glass of gin can solve ANYTHING. Bad day at work? Testing week? Cried over a film? PMS? Tick, tick, tick and tick!
18. A career doesn’t just happen! Building your career takes time and a lot of hard work. It won’t happen overnight, so you should be prepared to work super hard and prove you can do the job you want. Patience is key!
19. Not everything you see on the internet is perfect, so stop comparing yourself to people you follow! People are only sharing the highlights of their lives, and there’s so much behind closed doors that you won’t see. Don’t be afraid to unfollow those that don’t make you feel comfortable of happy within yourself.
20. Life will throw you some huge curveballs. How you deal with them is what will make you. It won’t all be smooth sailing, but you’ll come out the other side!
I could so easily go on forever because my twenties have taught me so many things. I’ll leave it there though for now. Leaving my twenties behind was one of the most daunting things that has happened to me so far, but I’m already enjoying this new chapter.
I can’t wait to see what my thirties bring and what lessons I’ll learn along the way!